The library singer and future Broadway star

Lisa Carlson

Lisa Carlson has had a strong passion for singing since she was very young and has performed in numerous school events including the Variety show and singing the national anthem for the Senior Awards. Carlson used to dream of being a voice for Disney, but now she has her eyes set on going into broadway. Photo courtesy of Lisa Carlson.

Grace Huff, Profiles Editor

The library has traditionally been a place of study, a place where many of us would get yelled at for talking above a whisper. Neuqua, on the other hand, has decided to shake things up a bit and have live performances by students in the morning every third Thursday of the month in an effort to get kids pumped up for their big day ahead.

Lisa Carlson, Neuqua Valley senior was the “pilot”  to kick off this new early morning event. She was first introduced to the idea of singing in the library earlier this year when she was handed a mysterious slip of paper, offering to let her share her talents in the library,.from the people who run Variety Show. Carlson said that when she first got it, she “didn’t know if it was even a real thing.” due to the fact that it was so new and for many of us we have grown up on the mentality to always be quiet when you are in the library. Despite her suspicion, it was real, and she performed on the third Thursday of October. Carlson said that, since there was little to no promotion of it, many students were very confused as to why she was singing with a microphone in the corner of the library. but nonetheless she continued to sing since it is her true passion.

Carlson said that she hopes to get a bachelor’s’ degree in musical theater and has applied to schools such as The American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City, Texas State University, and University of Central Florida.

If you are interested in performing in the library, feel free to contact Eric Bodwell. It does not just have to be music-related, as Carlson says that it is truly more of an “open-mic style” event.