Girls swim and dive does it again

Courtesy of John Starks

The team posing with their state champions trophy and coaches in the pool

Peter Wujek, Business Manager

The Neuqua Girls swim and dive team has won state again. Many girls showed off their skills on the diving board and in the pool during the state-wide competition. 

In the diving category finals, Jane Riehs, a junior, placed first, and Elle Jacobson, a freshman, placed fifth, securing a solid showing in diving. Both divers did a great job representing Neuqua Valley in all grade levels. 

In the finals for all events, Maxine Parkinson got fourth in the 100 meter breastroke event. Maxine Parkinson and  Tiffanie Ruan secured third place for Neuqua in the 200 meter IM and the 100 meter free, respectively. Parkinson, Ruan, Megan Ciezczak and Teagan Michalek got second in the 200 meter medley relay. 

Several swimmers finished first in numerous events, leading to the state title. Rachel Stege got first in the 200 meter free and the 500 meter free, earning many points for the team. Neuqua placed first in the 200 meter free relay, swum by Ciezczak, Stege, Parkinson, and Ruan. The team also placed first in the 400 meter free relay, swum by Ciezczak, Stege, Ruan, and Isabella Harder. If you would like to read more about Rachel Stege and her other great accomplishments, read this related story below.

Neuqua earned five total gold medals, which shows off Neuqua’s status as a top high school. Neuqua also earned one silver medal and two bronze medals. As a school, Neuqua earned a total of 183 points in all events, securing the Neuqua Valley Girls’ Swim and Dive team’s position as a state-wide legend. Neuqua also won last year, securing a very formidable undefeated streak.