Come watch the return of the “Totally Twisted” Freshman One Acts

Leah Dennison, Staff Writer

As a freshman, getting involved in activities can be intimidating. Attending tryouts and auditions can be stressful enough, and having to start fresh at a new school tends to scare away tons of students from becoming part of something they find interest in. Despite all this, the Neuqua Valley Theatre Department puts on an annual show to bring light to all new students interested in theatre: Freshman One Acts.

Freshman One Acts is a black box show highlighting the newcomers of Neuqua Theatre through short, 10 to 15 minute plays. These plays, however, aren’t directed by teachers. Instead, juniors and seniors are encouraged to apply for the chance to be a director for the show. Once selected, the student directors will collaborate to select and stage a short play. Each year, Freshman One Acts is centered around a theme, this year’s being “Totally Twisted.” Each play will consist of a twist, which may change the viewers’ perspectives on the characters or the plot.

It’s a no-cut show; no experience is required and every freshman will get their turn in the spotlight.

“I love acting and this is the perfect opportunity as a freshman,” freshman Addison Tedrow said. “It’s such a positive experience as everyone has been so friendly and welcoming.”

Freshman One Acts is the perfect gateway into the theatre world. It sets a basis for what a play is like and it adjusts freshmen to the atmosphere of a theatrical environment.

“It’s a really good way to put yourself out there and make new friends, and it lets you be a part of something fun and unique,” said Tedrow.

Upperclassmen also have a lot to take from this experience.

“I learned a lot through getting to be more hands-on, and being able to make the show how my partner and I envisioned it to be is what made this experience fun and beneficial,” said senior and student director Maura White.

Freshman One Acts allows Juniors and seniors the rare opportunity to do something no other show at Neuqua can: direct and stage the play the way they want. 

There are only two chances to see the show: Friday, Jan. 27, and Saturday, Jan. 28. More information including ticket sales can be found at nvhstheatre.com.