Tyler Trent, an Icon That Will Be Remembered in West Lafayette

Madeline James, Sports Editor & Columnist

“Boiler Up” was so much more than just a rally cry for Purdue freshman Tyler Trent. Trent, 19, passed away on January 1, 2019  after a hard fought battle with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, which he was diagnosed with at only 15 years old. He first gained local attention when he and a friend were the only two camped out outside of Ross-Aide Stadium for a Purdue-Michigan football game. The school is not well known for its prestigious football program (Purdue has only won 33% of its games from the past five seasons), so the demand for prime viewing seats is not extremely high. The two were interviewed,  and the rest is history.

Trent, a Purdue Boilermakers superfan, could be seen at every single football game in West Lafayette, Indiana, and became a recognized figure across the school campus. He was a presence in either the first row or close to it for every home game. The team heard word of Trentand his ongoing battle through his chemotherapy and invited him to have a seat on the sidelines. Trent was thrilled. The Indianapolis Colts also invited him to a game, and shortly after, Trent’s name was appearing on Sportscenter on ESPN. He had tens of thousands of newly gained fans, all rallying around him to find a cure for an incurable disease.

Cancer is one of life’s greatest tests of faith, and is one of the hardest pains to endure. Tyler Trent was several years into remission when he had a relapse. Going through chemo on a weekly basis and attending physician meetings is a difficult process, and even mundane, day-to-day activities can become challenges. In addition to fighting his osteosarcoma, Trent was also in the process of earning his undergraduate degree. His love and passion for the game of football allowed him to have a support system outside of his treatment room.

Even after his passing, the sports nation supported him, with even Purdue’s fiercest sports rivals wearing ‘#Tylerstrong’ shirts in his memory. Purdue has set up a foundation page in his name, where donations can be made towards funding for osteosarcoma research. Even through an unspeakable tragedy, the power of sports was able to shine a positive light into the darkest of situations. Trent will not be the last person to pass away after a cancer battle, but every day, through funding and research, we are that much closer to finding a cure, and to continue celebrating life instead of death.