Starting the 2022-2023 Theater Season

Ms.Dabezic shares more information on her production, Freshman I Acts.

Emma Vorasorn

Ava Nelson, Staff Writer

As the new school year begins, students can get a closer look at the up and coming drama season. The Neuqua Valley Theater department offers many different opportunities to get involved. Some ways to get involved include acting on stage, building and painting sets, working with lights and sound, costuming and even hair and makeup. If you are interested, you can apply for up and coming shows at nvhstheater.com. On Tuesday, the drama club held a drama rally! At this year’s rally, they released all the show titles for the year and shared more information about the up and coming season!

This year’s children’s show is “Alice @ Wonderland”!! Auditions will be on August 30 and August 31 in the black box theater. Mrs. Van Milligen is directing this show. She shared that this version of “Alice In Wonderland” will have some modern twists while continuing to keep the original plot. Show performances will be on October 7th at 4:30pm and October 8th at 1pm and 6pm in the main auditorium.

The fall play this year is “She Kills Monsters”, directed by Mr. Schaub. The play is based on Dungeons and Dragons, a fantasy game. This show is an adventure story with lots of humor. There are 10 speaking roles but there are also many non-speaking roles for those interested. Show dates are November 10-12 at 7pm.

“Doubt” is this year’s winter play. The winter plays are usually put on in the black box, but this year , the director, Mr. Pontarelli decided to take it to the main stage. Pontarelli said this show will have a smaller cast. He also shared that this will be a very student led production. “Doubt” is about a priest abusing his position of power. This production has strong intentions and delivers a message. Performances are on December 9 at 7pm and December 10 at 3pm and 7pm.

Even though Mr. Pontarelli is still on paternity leave, he made an appearance on video. In his videos, he revealed the musical which was very exciting. “Chicago” is this year’s musical! This show will also be directed by Pontarelli. “Chicago” takes place in the 1920’s during the jazz age. This story follows people accused for murder and other crimes. This musical is a very dance heavy show. Performances will be on April 27-29 at 7pm.

In addition to the plays and musical, the improv show is on September 15 and 16 at 6 and 8pm in the black box theater. Freshman I Acts are on January 27th and 28th at 7pm. Lastly, The monologue show is on March 10 at 5pm and 8pm and March 11 at 3pm and 7pm. Performances will be in the black box theater. 

Neuqua is so excited to see all the upcoming performances from the theater department. Come see these shows to see how all the cast and crew worked together to make these performances come together.