Neuqua’s new tool to stop substance abuse

Joey Glos, Staff Writer

Neuqua Valley has introduced a new furry companion to its campus. Bear, a golden retriever, has been brought to Neuqua in order to promote and assist in school safety. He is a trained drug detection dog able to detect alcohol, firearms, marijuana, opioids and other common illicit substances. Bear is set to visit the school at least once a month. The school administrators hope to increase his number of visits once a suitable schedule can be arranged.

Currently, the school is adamant on using Bear as a deterrent to students. Ms Ruff, assistant principal and head of student services, is hoping “not to get students in trouble” but instead to help reduce illegal substances on campus.

In order to help students who may not be comfortable with dogs, the administration is encouraging teachers to ask for class demonstrations of Bear in classes, which will consist of students being able to meet and pet Bear to grow comfortable with his presence. The school hopes these demonstrations will show that Bear is a calm safe dog, who students can trust to be around.

Interquest Detection Canines, the company Bear is from, is a nationwide company founded in texas, which is working with district 204 to provide drug detection dogs. Bear is not only working with Neuqua Valley, but also with Waubonsie and Metea in order to provide services to their schools. The company works with schools, as well as operates in business and private homes. Interquest hopes to operate with minimum interruption of the school day, eliminating the need for interruptions in learning.