Notorious: Mel Gibson

Notorious: "famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed."

January 26, 2022

Being a celebrity comes with its many perks—and many downfalls—one being the knowledge that everything you do is being watched. Whether it be wearing an outfit that isn’t rated as “trendy” or going out with another celebrity that sparks dating rumors, the paparazzi—and fans—are always watching. So, when a celebrity openly makes antisemitic comments, slaps their ex-girlfriend and receives a DUI, backlash is expected. 

“Mad Max,” “What Women Want” and “The Patriot.” All of these movies have two things in common: their extreme popularity and the usage of Mel Gibson as a prominent character. Gibson began his acting career in 1976, and after his appearance in “Mad Max,” he was granted his breakthrough role. From then to now, Gibson has continued to grow as an actor, and his name is known throughout Hollywood. 

In 2010, Gibson took a plea deal in order to avoid felony charges of battery after his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorivea accused him of slapping her. His words: “I slapped Oksana one time with an open hand in an attempt to bring her back to reality.” Maybe Gibson thought he could play God, but I know that in my life, slapping someone constitutes assault. Not only is Gibson a star actor and a famous boxer, but he has also received a DUI for driving drunk!

Mel Gibson has been in many top hit films. Daddy’s Home and Daddy’s Home 2 include a few of Gibson’s prominent roles in Hollywood. (Paramount Pictures )

Gibson didn’t stop there, however. He wanted to have more to his resume, since acting and fighting weren’t enough. He decided that being a raging antisemite would be the perfect addition. Fellow actress Winona Ryder, who has Jewish roots, was asked personally by Gibson if she was an “oven ryder”, insinuating the perils that Jewish invidividuals faced during the Holocaust. He could also add his ability to go out of his way to offend others on his resume! Plus, during his DUI arrest, Gibson went on a tangent about “fucking Jews” and how “the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” As a Jew myself, I honestly have no idea how to start a war. If I were that powerful, I would be President right now, but I am not. 

So, my question to Hollywood and to fans are: why is Gibson still acting? “Last Looks,” a new movie directed by Tim Kirkby (who?) is planned to release February 4th of 2022, with you guessed it, Mel Gibson! What confuses me is that there are hundreds of older men who act, so was Mel Gibson that important of an actor to use in this film? Are his slapping incident, DUI arrest, and antisemitic comments so unimportant that directors are willing to overlook them?

Hollywood, do better. With hundreds of incredible actors and actresses, there is no need for a celebrity who thinks they are better than everyone else and insults an entire group of people for their religion. Gibson is notorious, and he does not deserve the wealth and fame that he has received for many years. 

Maya Stone