Diwali 2020 (COVID-19 Edition)

Since+Diwali+is+the+celebration+of+light%2C+this+is+a+picture+of+a+lit+diya.+

Since Diwali is the celebration of light, this is a picture of a lit diya.

Jena Patel, Staff Writer

What is Diwali?

Diwali, also known as the festival of lights, is an Indian holiday that marks the beginning of the new year in Hinduism. It is celebrated around the world and occurs between October and November, based on the lunar calendar. This year Diwali was on November 14th, it is a five-day celebration. It symbolizes light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance. 

History of Diwali

Hindus worship the Goddess Lakshmi, who represents wealth and beauty. For Hindus, this festival celebrates the return of Rama and Sita and victory over the ten-headed demon Ravana. The festival symbolizes the triumph of good over evil. Hindus believe that Rama and Sita, a prince and princess, were banished for 14 years and were finally able to make a triumphant return after killing the demon Ravana. It is believed that diyas, small oil lamps made with clay, are lit to symbolize guiding Rama and Sita home. Sikhs celebrate Diwali because it is the day that Guru Hargobind Ji was released from captivity, along with 52 other princes. Guru Hargobind Ji was remembered for his spiritual insights. Jains celebrate because Diwali marks the final release of Mahavira’s soul. Mahavira was an indian religious leader who founded Jainism. 

How is it celebrated?

Before Diwali begins, houses are cleaned, sweets are made and lights are put up. It is believed that the Goddess Lakshmi will enter a clean house and bless those who live there. During Diwali, new clothes are worn and time is spent surrounded by friends and family. Prayers are often done in homes or at a temple. Although COVID-19 prevented gathering in large groups, sweets were still made, and decorations were put up. Many people did Rangoli, a pattern made with powder, outside their homes. Many families also had fireworks and lit sparklers to celebrate. They gathered together and were grateful for the new year and new beginnings.  

How are other students celebrating?

Architha Damaraju said, “The day before Diwali, my whole family decorated the house with rangoli, lights, and made sweets together. On the day of Diwali I dressed up and took pictures and we did a family pooja (ritual/prayer).” Megan Rajan explained, “Diwali is a celebration of light and happiness, so we usually have lots of relatives come over and cook grand meals, but this year since we couldn’t have a lot of family come over, we decorated our house with colorful lights and candles. It wasn’t the same, but we lit fireworks in the backyard and made the best out of it!” Manya Iyer shared, “I spent Diwali with my family and I spent time hanging out with friends. Diwali is important to me because it is a celebration of togetherness, family, and being around the people you love!” Shreya Atluri told us,“This year my cousins and I just lit some fireworks and it was very lowkey. Diwali to me is kinda night to just celebrate with lights and colors. It’s a day to just forget all the negatives in life and just celebrate with family and light.”