Physical Education Department changes for the 2019-2020 school year

Summer Moore, Assistant Editor in Chief/Business Manager

The Neuqua Valley P.E. department will have a change to their courses for the upcoming 2019 – 2020 school year. “The P.E. department will be doing away with some of the courses that they offer, creating less variety for the students. Since body sculpt and dance are the ones with the least popularity, they will be the ones most affected. The classes will be combined into one class,” Allison Perry explains.

Perry, a P.E. teacher at Neuqua Valley, expressed her concern about the change. “[The classes gave] students more choice and more opportunity, and by eliminating the sections, we’re losing a teacher. They have to decrease the sections to seven sections. The P.E. classes, of less popular classes, are becoming too small and need to reduce.”

“This really hits the kids that particularly take these two options as opposed to the sports options. This won’t really affect the incoming juniors because they have yet been exposed to being allowed to choose your gym class. However, the one[s] it does affect are the incoming seniors; they will have to adjust to the change,” explains Perry.

The P.E. teachers will be having a meeting to discuss the different ways to run the class and choose the best one. Students will learn about the official changes at the beginning of the 2019 – 2020 school year.