The new rise of CBD use

Emma Wightkin, Student Life Editor

Cannabidiol (CBD) is, in technical terms, “a chemical compound from the cannabis plant. It’s a naturally occurring substance that’s used in products like oils and edibles to impart a feeling of relaxation and calm. Unlike its cousin tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it’s not psychoactive,” says Health.com. Some speculate that it first began gaining popularity after being endorsed by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on “The Dr Oz Show.”

Now legal in about 30 states, including Illinois, that have also legalized medicinal marijuana, CBD is accessible to almost anyone, as it is sold in places like Walgreens and usually has no age restriction. News outlets like The New York Times have been talking about CBD due to information coming out about the different uses for it. There has been research coming out about the beneficial effects of CBD on disorders such as back pain, epilepsy and anxiety, according to WebMD.com.

However, for pain management, the chemical has been found to be more effective when combined with small amounts of THC, which does have psychoactive properties. It is also important to note that many of the benefits of CBD for things like anxiety can vary from person to person, and the chemical may have no effect at all on some individuals. WebMD.com notes that no significant information or research has come out about any negative consequences from the use of the drug.

In terms of use and accessibility, CBD comes in many different forms for both oral and topical application. For muscle and joint pain, people most commonly use ointments, creams or oils applied directly on the skin. People seeking oral use can ingest CBD through a vape pen, which delivers the effects of the drug within ten minutes. There is also the option to consume it through a tincture, which is a liquid that is applied under the tongue, or in the form of an edible, such as a gummy or baked good.

When buying CBD, it is important to buy it from a trusted source, such as a pharmacy, and to determine the consumption or application method  that works best for each individual and the specific issues they are seeking to mitigate. It is also important to approach such a new trend with some skepticism and to do independent research when determining the uses of CBD and best places to obtain CBD.