Echo Eats: Molly’s Cupcakes is baking up business

Emma Wightkin, Student Life Editor

Elaborate, gourmet cupcakes meet a charming, cozy atmosphere to create the perfect combination that is Molly’s Cupcakes. The quaint storefront for this franchise opened in downtown Naperville at 30 W Jefferson Ave a little over a month ago in January. Since then, business has been booming- which is no surprise considering their excellent location, welcoming ambiance and numerous cupcake flavors to try.

Originating in downtown Chicago’s Lincoln Park, the company’s name was inspired by the founder’s third grade teacher, Miss Molly, who often brought cupcakes to her students on their birthdays. This sweet tribute helped launch the brand that has spread its storefronts all throughout Chicago, New York and Iowa. One of their largest claims to fame is winning Food Network’s “Cupcakes Wars” with their famous peach cobbler cupcake. Among their other popular favors are the Creme Brûlée and Cake Batter cupcakes. However, if none of their fourteen center-filled flavors sound appealing, they also offer regular cupcakes and a create-your-own option.

During my experience, I noticed that Molly’s Cupcakes has definitely put lots of effort into creating a pleasant atmosphere in their Naperville store front. Inside the shop is a large wooden table that promotes an at-home feel, along with hanging light bulbs and vintage chairs — not to mention their old fashioned swinging chair seating, which adds the perfect, playful touch. Their cupcakes have delicious filling, frosting and toppings that make for a delightful little treat. After I tasted some of their many cupcakes, it became very evident that both their preparation and ingredients were high quality, which I feel warrants their somewhat pricey costs. The famous center-filled cupcakes will run $3.75 each, a regular cupcake is $2.75 and the mini cupcakes are $1.60. However, it is important to remember their prices are determined by the excellent grade of their sweets.

The best cupcake that I tried was the Cake Batter flavor, which had a delicious cake batter filling and bright blue, creamy frosting- definitely an item I would get again. Overall, the experience of visiting Molly’s Cupcakes in downtown Naperville is quite enjoyable; the unique and fun decor mixed with some very tasty cupcakes make for a worthwhile trip.