Neuqua Valley prepares for new principal

Joey Glos, Staff Writer

Dr. Robert McBride, current principal will be leaving Neuqua Valley at the end of this year. He will be departing to work as the superintendent of Lockport Township as a replacement for the current superintendent Dr Wernet. Currently, the district is looking for a replacement for McBride.  

Choosing the next principal is an important decision, as they will be responsible for over 4,000 students and faculty.  According to McBride, the selection process will most likely be difficult, as he says “anywhere between thirty and one hundred” possible candidates might apply for the position.

These candidates would then be given screening interviews and narrowed down to around 20 or so by a committee and members of the Neuqua Valley staff. Following a second round of interviews, three or so candidates would be left to interview directly with Dr. Karen Sullivan, the district’s superintendent.  A survey has also been released to Neuqua staff in the hopes of building a “candidate profile” — a set of attributes that the staff believe it would be ideal for the next principal to have.

McBride says that it is “very important” for any potential candidate to be their own person and bring their own experiences the Neuqua Valley. McBride explained that his successor will certainly be announced by the end of the school year. He speculated that the announcement may even be made before spring break to allow for a quarter of adjustment before McBride leaves to help make the transfer easier for both the school and the new principal.

Dr. McBride with his certificate of congratulations for receiving the terrel H Bell award for outstanding leadership. Photo by Abigail McArthur-Self.